Ms. JD: She Leads
Ms. JD: She Leads
October 5th, 2012
Fifth Annual Conference on Women in the Law in partnership with the Women and the Law Program at American University Washington College of Law
She Leads presents young attorneys and law students with an unparalleled opportunity to connect to the nation's most talented leaders in the law. At She Leads, participants will develop core leadership skills, which can be applied in law school, legal practice, the government, or at non-profits. Attendees will have the opportunity to meet top lawyers, hear from incredible and inspiring speakers, connect with other attorneys and law students in the field, and plan for a year ahead working together!
Ms. JD proudly presents…
9:00-9:15 She Leads (Opening)
9:15-10:30 PLENARY 1: Ms. JD Intro
10:45-12:00 Breakout 1: She Negotiates
10:45-12:00 Breakout 1: She Builds
12:15-1:15 Lunch Keynote
1:30 - 2:45 PLENARY 2: She Presides
3:00-4:45 Breakout 2: She Runs
3:00-4:45 Breakout 2: She Communicates
5:00-6:30 She Rocks Keynote: The DQs
6:30 - 8:00 She Rocks Reception
Keynote Speeches By:
The Conference Sessions:
Negotiation workshop designed to teach fundamental negotiation skills and help participants develop their own negotiation style.
- Lynn Cohn, Director, Northwestern Program on Negotiation and Mediation
- Kathleen Ambrose, Senior VP of Government Affairs, Siemens Corporation
- Victoria Pynchon, Author, Mediator and Arbitrator
- Homer La Rue, Arbitrator, Mediator, & Professor of Law, Howard University School of Law
- Maria Seferian, Partner, Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP
Session on how to bring together and lead a team with a focus on developing skills like team building and motivation.
- Gia Lee, Deputy General Counsel, Office of General Counsel, U.S. Department of Human and Health Services
- Elizabeth Pederson, Founder, Ms. JD
- Susan Smith Blakely, Founder of Best Friends at the Bar
- Lauren Stiller Rikleen, Executive-in-Residence, Boston College Center for Work & Family
- Marguerite Sullivan, Partner, Latham & Watkins LLP
Examines the challenges participants face when presiding over a large group or major organization such as a law firm, non-profit organization, court room, or government agency.
- The Honorable Nancy Gertner, Former District Court Judge & Professor of Practice, Harvard Law School
- Joseph T. Small, Jr., Partner-in-Charge, Fulbright & Jaworski LLP
- Jasmine Majid, American Council on International Personnel
- Simone Wu, Senior Vice President, General Counsel & Corporate Secretary, Choice Hotels
Assessing the communication skills necessary for women's success as leaders, from running a meeting to communication over social media.
- Alison Monahan, Founder, The Girl’s Guide to Law School
- Desiree Moore, President, Greenhorn Legal, LLC
- Karen Lockwood, CEO & Founder, The Lockwood Group, LLC
- Dr. Silvia Hodges, Director of Research Services & Adjunct Professor at TyMetrix Legal Analytics
A workshop about running for office that gives participants the opportunity to learn from a top women's political organization about how to make it happen.
- EMILY’s List Political Opportunity Program: The EMILY’s List Political Opportunity Program is recognized as one of the single best training grounds for women running for office. In this session, participants will get a crash course in what it takes to run for office and what they need to consider to get a campaign off the ground. EMILY’s List has helped elect sixteen senators, eighty-seven representatives, nine governors, and 507 state and local officials.
She Rocks Reception
An informal networking event and reception which will give our sponsors, panelists, and guests an opportunity discuss the day's events, plan for future collaboration, and promote their interests.
Thank you to all of our conference sponsors!
Fulbright & Jaworski, Munger, Tolles & Olson, Latham & Watkins, LexisNexis, Baker Botts, Haynes Boone, Skadden Arps Slate Meagher & Flom, and the Women & the Law Program at American University Washington College of Law.
Thank you to all of our co-sponsor organizations: Association of Law Firm Diversity Professionals, Flex-Time Lawyers, Minority Corporate Counsel Association, The Levo League, National Black Law Students Association, National Association of Women Lawyers, Blueprint JD and the Women's Bar Association of the District of Columbia.
Students, click here for information on applying for She Leads conference scholarships.
For all questions, please contact Liz Vaysman at firstname.lastname@example.org.