By Genevieve Antono • March 27, 2017•Ms. JD, Conference, Writers in Residence, Careers, Firms and the Private Sector, Legal Academia, Nonprofits and the Public Interest, Politics and Government, •Other Career Issues, Law School, Pre-Law, Choosing a Career and Landing a Job, Curriculum and Classroom Dynamics, Internships and Clerkships, Other Law School Issues, Issues, •Mentoring and Networking
Hello and welcome to Ms. JD Pre-Law!
Our goal is to serve as a resource to, and build a supportive community of, pre-law women around the country. Whether you're a college freshman just starting to develop an interest in the legal profession, or if you already know that you're going to law school this Fall—we have something for you!
In addition to organizing in-person events, we also regularly post interviews and other articles on the wider Ms. JD blog. The list below serves as a helpful index, with links to all the Ms. JD Pre-Law articles in one place. I will be updating the list below as we post new items on the Ms. JD blog, so be sure to bookmark this page (http://ms-jd.org/blog/article/pre-law-index)!
I am thrilled to serve the Ms. JD Pre-Law community. If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to reach out.
Table of Contents
Last Updated: 03/27/2017
Ms. JD Pre-Law INTERVIEWS
- Interview with Ani Torossian, Ms. JD Pre-Law Program Director 2015-2017
- Interview with Monica Parks, Diversity and Inclusion Coordinator at the N.Y. City Bar
- Interview with Elina Tetelbaum, Corporate Associate at Wachtell Lipton
- Interview with J.Y. Ping, Founder of 7Sage and PreProBono
1.2 Interviews with Pre-Law Students/Graduates
1.3 Previous Interviews conducted by Ani Torossian (Ms. JD Pre-Law Program Director 2015-2017)
- Office Hours with Professor Janet Siegel Brown, Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law
- Office Hours with Professor Philip Lee, UDC David A. Clarke School of Law
- Office Hours with Professor Alice Armitage, UC Hastings College of the Law & Director, Startup Legal Garage
- Office Hours with Professor Catherine Grosso, Michigan State University College of Law
- Office Hours with Professor Angela P. Harris, UC Davis School of Law
- Office Hours with Professor Elly Jordan, Immigration Law Clinic at Michigan State University College of Law
1.4 Selected Interviews from around the Ms. JD Blog
- 8/31/2015 Interview with Katie Larkin-Wong, Litigation Associate at Latham & Watkins, 2011-2016 President of Ms. JD
2. Pre-Law Events and Opportunities
2.1 Pre-Law Opportunities 2017
- 3/2017 - Internship with the Asian American Bar Association of New York (AABANY) (Rolling)
- 3/2017 - University of Wisconsin Law School and DiscoverLaw.org PLUS Program (Deadline April '17)
- 3/2017 - Summer 2017 Internship with ABA Standing Committee on Law & National Security (Rolling)
2.2 New York City Bar "Launching Your Career" Seminar Series 2017
- 2/2017 Invitation to Apply 2017
- Week 1: Orientation and Fireside Chat
- Week 2: Networking and Finding a Mentor
- Week 3: Office Etiquette
- Week 4: Legal Writing and Personal Statements (written by Kamya Arora)
3. Selected Pre-Law Articles from around the Ms. JD blog
3.1 Pre-Law F.A.Q.'s
- Coming Soon
3.2 Thinking about Law School
- Genevieve Antono's "Why pre-law students should not be thinking about law school admissions. (Yet!)"
- Sarah Vaona's "One question you must answer before starting law school"
3.3 Pre-Law Job/Internship Search
- Genevieve Antono's "Building content for (corporate-oriented) pre-law interviews"
- Genevieve Antono's "10 tips to succeed at your summer internship"
- Karen Graziano's "Planning and promoting your professional profile"
- Ijya Paudel's "How to be confident in an interview"
- Nikki Datta's "Becoming a Frequent-Applier"
3.4 Pre-Law Life
- Nicole Hopkins' "My late-bloomer LSAT (and law school) success story"
- Amanda Gernentz Hanson's "LSAT study tips (from a full-time working dog owner)"
- PowerScore's series of articles
3.6 Personal Statement
3.7 Recommendation Letters
- Peg Cheng's "How to get great letters of recommendation"
- Karen Graziano's "Advice for recommendation seekers and writers"
4. EXTERNAL/THIRD-PARTY RESOURCES
- Sponsors for Educational Opportunity Law Program
- NYC Bar Student Pipeline Programs
- PreProBono Fellowship (LSAT Prep)
- Council on Legal Education Opportunity (CLEO)
Genevieve Antono is Ms. JD's Pre-Law Program Director. She is passionate about diversity, mentorship and women's leadership in the legal profession, and is excited to serve the pre-law members of Ms. JD's community. Genevieve volunteers with Ms. JD in her personal capacity. The opinions expressed in her posts are her own (and opinions expressed in third-party links their own), and do not necessarily reflect those of her employer.