Fifteen Things You Didn’t Know About Ms. JD CFO Sheila Forjuoh
1. I was born in Kumasi, Ghana. Most people don't know this but I didn't move to the US until I was three, and I didn't become a citizen until I was 17.
2. I have an unhealthy obsession with sweet potato fries. Ditto for dutch apple pie. If you're ever in Montreal, make sure to stop at Rockaberry for their awesome pies. It'll change your life.
3. I own way too many Longchamp bags, but I LOVE them. They are awesome for work, play, travel, and everything in between. And they last FOREVER. If you are in a the market for a new tote, weekender, or suitcase, make sure to check them out.
4. I had met maybe one lawyer in my life ever before deciding to attend law school. Everyone else in my immediate family is in the medical field, and I just didn't have a lot of friends with lawyer parents growing up.
5. I have a four year old shih tzu named Violet that I adopted last year from Wee Rescue in Austin, TX. Adopting a dog during 3L year was the best decision ever and I highly recommend doing so your last year to anyone considering a pet in law school.
6. I played a ton of sports growing up. I was a competitive tennis player for twelve years before calling it quits (I have not picked up a racket since). I also dabbled in soccer, basketball, rugby, track and inline skating (yes, I wanted to be on the X Games; unfortunately, that dream never worked out).
7. My best friends like to make fun of me because my hair sticks up all over the place when I wake up on the mornings, so my senior year of college I surprised them by dressing up as a Treasure Troll for Halloween, colored hair and all. It was pretty awesome.
8. I'm horrible at deciding my favorite color, so I used to tell people it was "rainbow." Now I just say black, since that's all I seem to wear.
9. I was on a competitive dance team in high school and also danced on my college team, even though I had never taken a dance class until sophomore year of college. I was also awarded two Ms. High Kick awards in high school. I guess there's something to say for natural talent.
10. I worked for the Center for Women in Law for a year and a half prior to joining Ms. JD. It's an awesome organization that has awesome programing for law students and young attorneys in Texas.
11. I went to college wanting to be an advertising executive, which is why I majored in Marketing and minored in Graphic Design. How that led to law school is an interesting story for another day . . . .
13. I have a crazy weird talent for correctly guessing what the time is. However, this does not prevent me from being perpetually five minutes late to everything, it just means I'm more aware of my tardiness.
14. Since my sprinting days have ended, I have been working the last year to transform myself into a mid-distance runner. I did my first 5K last November and am training for a half-marathon now. Running and yoga are my biggest stress relievers (other than my dog), and I plan on doing a lot of both while studying for the bar the next couple of months.
15. So why am I studying for the bar now, you ask? It's because I just finished my JD/MBA degree from The University of Texas at Austin this week! I am very excited to have completed this stage of my life (with the help of my wonderful friends at Ms. JD), and am looking forward to the future (though I will always be a proud Longhorn at heart).