Ms. JD Presents its Tenth Annual Conference on Women in the Law:
March 8-9, 2018, at The University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law
Ms. JD is proud to continue honoring exceptional women and men making contributions to the advancement of women in the legal profession through Ms. JD Honors! Join us on March 8, 2018, and March 9, 2018, for Her Story, Ms. JD's 10th Annual Conference on Women in Law. The conference will kick off on March 8th with the Ms. JD Honors Reception, where we will honor the recipients of the Ms. JD Honors awards.
The Ms. JD Honors awards will celebrate those who demonstrate a passion for their careers and share that passion with other men and women. The full list of this year's honorees is available HERE. The Ms. JD Honor Awards Ceremony will take place from 5:30-7: 30 pm at the UCLA Faculty Center, located at 480 Charles E. Young Drive East, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1657.
March 9th will be a full-day conference featuring panels, a keynote speaker, breakout sessions and breakfast and lunch. CLE credit expected. Join Ms. JD and help us celebrate these exceptional men and women by purchasing your tickets HERE.
Our Ms. JD Honors Reception keynote speaker will be Lily Y. Hughes. Lily Yan Hughes is Senior Vice President Chief Legal Officer and Corporate Secretary of Public Storage, a component of the S&P 500 (with $33+ billion market cap) and FT (Financial Times) Global 500. Public Storage (NYSE:PSA) operates nearly 2,400 company-owned self-storage facilities in the United States and Europe, totaling more than 157 million net rentable square feet of real estate. Its PS Business Parks interest adds another 27 million rentable square feet of commercial and industrial space (NYSE: PSB). Lily advises both public companies. Prior to joining Public Storage in January 2015, Lily was the #2 corporate lawyer at Ingram Micro Inc., a Fortune 100 NYSE company with operations in 38 countries. She had primary legal responsibilities for Board, corporate securities, governance, capital markets, tax, strategic partnerships and executive compensation matters, and as a global leader for M&A. Lily was previously a corporate securities partner at the national law firm of Manatt, Phelps & Phillips.
Lily is an active leader in the community, including past service as President of the Southern California Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel, Chairman of the Board for the Greater Los Angeles Affiliate of the American Heart Association, and as an Audit Committee member of the national American Heart Association. Lily has been recognized by numerous publications and organizations, including named in 2017 as Public Company General Counsel of the Year by the Los Angeles Business Journal, in 2016 as one of the Top 50 Women Lawyers in the nation by the National Diversity Council, in 2016 with the Most Influential Women Award and in 2014 with the Multicultural Leadership Award from the California Diversity Council, and twice listed as a top 100 “Next Generation General Counsel” by Inside Counsel Magazine.
Find Out More About Our Other Conference Speakers HERE!
Ms. JD is recommending the Kimpton Hotel Palomar for conference guests. Ms. J.D. has a room block in effect for March 8-10, 2018. In order to reserve rooms, contact Nicole De La Garza at Nicole.DeLaGarza@hotelpalomar.com. (Please note that rooms fill quickly and Ms. J.D. cannot guarantee a room or rate).
Tickets are now on sale! Get your tickets HERE before they sell out!
Ms. J.D. "Her Story" Conference Agenda
**CLE Application Pending - 4.0 Hours**
7:30 -8:05 a.m. Breakfast & Ms. J.D. Welcome
- Opening Remarks by Raychelle Tasher, President
8:05 -8:10 a.m. UCLA School of Law Welcome
8:10 -9:10 a.m. Shameless Self Promotion: Essential tips for selling yourself and your story:
- Paula Edgar, Founder, CEO, PGE LLC
9:10 -9:15 a..m. Top 5 Qualities in a New Associate
- Purvi Patel, Partner, Morrison & Foerster
9:15 -10:15 a.m. Beyond #MeToo: Practical advice for combatting sexual harassment in our workplaces, our profession, and beyond.
- Katie Larkin-Wong, Immediate Past President, Moderator
- Katherine H. Ku, Partner, Wilson Sonsini
- Tritia Murata, Partner, Morrison & Foerster
- Jaime Santos, Appellate Associate, Goodwin Proctor LLP
- Chris Schneider, Senior Counsel, Thompson Hine LLP
10:30 -11:30 a.m. Start-Up Stories: How to bring your brilliant business idea to life.
- Nicole Chiu-Wang, COO, Co-Founder, and VP Legal, Boon + Gable
- Ashley C. Lhérisson, Founder, Ivy Grad Services
- Sonya Passi, Founder, and CEO, Free From
- Celaena Powder, Corporate and Securities Associate, Gunderson Dettmer
- Ann Wang, Enrou
11:35 -1:00p.m. Lunch & Keynote Speakers: Her Story Fireside Chat: In Conversation with Michelle Banks and Stacey Hallerman.
Michelle Banks, Senior Advisor & Executive Coach at BarkerGilmore LLC, and former Executive Vice President, Global General Counsel, Corporate Secretary and Chief Compliance Officer of Gap Inc.
Stacey Hallerman, Vice President, Chief Legal Counsel and Corporate Secretary, Richemont North America, Inc. (Cartier, Van Cleef & Arpels, Chloe, and Montblanc)
1:00 -1:05p.m. Ms. J.D. Inspiration Break
1:15 -2:35p.m. Breakout Session #1:
Attorney Track: Promoting your story: How to use digital marketing to promote your talents to prospective clients and employers.
- Nicole Abboud, Founder, Abboud Media
- Natacha Gaymer-Jones, Partner/Head of Digital, PublicHaus Agency
- Kamal Moo, Law Offices of Kamal Moo
Law Student Track: The Path to Public Interest Law: An exchange of stories with trailblazers about how to make a meaningful career a reality.
- Antionette Dozier, Senior Attorney, Western Center on Law & Poverty
- Lisa Cisneros, LGBT Program Director, California Rural Legal Assistance, Inc. (CRLA)
- Jessie Kornberg, President & CEO, Bet Tzedek
- Julia R. Wilson, CEO, OneJustice
2:45 -4:00p.m. Breakout Session #2:
Attorney Track: The Transition to In-House: A step-by-step guide to position yourself up for this popular — and smart — career move.
- Elina Avakian, Commercial Counsel, Snap Inc.
- Marlo Carruth, Vice President, Walt Disney Company
- Jennifer House, Business & Legal Affairs, Unscripted Originals, Netflix
- Natasha Pfeiffer, Vice President, Assistant General Counsel, United Capital Financial Advisers, LLC
Law Student Track: Lawyers in Entertainment, Unveiled: A peek into the exciting stories of lawyers who are blazing diverse career paths in Hollywood.
- Lynette Jones, Assistant Vice President, Senior Legal Counsel Content, Programming & Production, AT&T
- Janis Nelson, Partner, Cowan Debaets Abrahams and Sheppard
- Karen Thorland, SVP, Deputy General Counsel, Chief Global Content Protection Legal, Motion Picture Association of America
- Heather Washington, Producer, Will Packer Productions
- Cole Wiley, Principal, Writer, Director, Producer, UIWE
- Austin Williams, Associate, Latham & Watkins, Entertainment, Sports & Media Practice
4:10 -5:30p.m. Life Behind the Bench: A look at the work of judges and the ways in which their personal stories have informed their careers,
- Tamerlin Godley, Partner, Munger Tolles & Olson -- Opening Remarks
- Honorable Audrey B. Collins, Associate Justice, Second District Court of Appeal for the State of California
- Honorable Dolly M. Gee, United States District Judge, United States District Court, Central District of California
- Honorable Holly J. Fujie, Judge, Los Angeles Superior Court
5:30 -6:30p.m. Connections and Conversation Closing Reception: The last chance to exchange stories and chat about the topics discussed — over a glass of wine and dessert.
Thank You to Our Conference Sponsors!
United States Navy JAG Corps; U.S. Air Force JAG Corps.