Accelerate 2018: Grow. Rise. Lead
Accelerate 2018 is a regional conference designed to bring together law students from across the Midwest to focus on developing professional skills and building strong networks that will help them succeed both as law students and as professionals.
The conference will provide attendees with the opportunity to learn from the unique perspectives and experiences of women lawyers who have succeeded in a variety of positions and settings. Panelists and speakers include judges, partners, nonprofit executive directors, entrepreneurs, associates, and in house counsel, among others.
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 1, 2018
- 3:30 - 4:30 p.m. -- Courtyard Lincoln Downtown/Haymarket, 808 R. Street
Open Reception & Networking Workshop
- 8:00 - 9:00 a.m. -- College of Law Lobby
- 9:00 - 9:15 a.m. -- Featuring Richard Moberly, Dean; Danielle Allison, Executive Director of Ms. JD
Negotiate Like a Boss
- 9:15 - 10:00 a.m. -- Hamman Auditorium: Featuring Professor Kristen Blankley, Moderator; Barb Davis; Gail Perry, Vice President/Associate General Counsel, Ameritas; Torrey Gerdes, Partner, Baylor Evnen LLP; Jennifer Petersen, Senior Labor and Employment Counsel, Werner Enterprises;
Self-Promotion: Putting Your Best Foot Forward to Get What You Want
- 10:00 - 10:45 a.m. -- Hamman Auditorium: Featuring Jeana Goosmann, CEO, Founder Managing Partner of Goosmann Law Firm; Molly Brummond, Assistant Dean of External Relations & Strategic Initiatives
Nonverbal Messages You're Sending That Are Holding You Back
- 11:00 - 11:50 a.m. -- Hamman Auditorium: Featuring Elsbeth Magilton, Executive Director of Space, Cyber, and Telecommunications LLM; Nicole Seckman Jilek, Associate, Abrahams Kaslow & Cassman; Marnie Jensen, Partner, Husch Blackwell; Jamie Reyes, Director of Transportation and Railroad Safety/Legal Counsel, Nebraska Public Service Commission
Fireside Chat with Hon. Riko Bishop, Judge of the Nebraska Court of Appeals, 1st Judicial District
- 12:30 - 1:30 p.m. -- Hon. Riko Bishop, Judge of the Nebraska Court of Appeals; Erin Callahan, President of Ms. JD.
BREAK OUT SESSIONS
- 1:45 - 2:45 p.m.
- Firm Life 101: The Unwritten Rules -- Featuring Tasha Everman, Assistant Dean of Career Development; Kristin Krueger, Partner, Koley Jessen; Lily Amare, Associate, Cline Williams, Wright, Johnson & Oldfather; Brenda Smith, Partner, Dvorak Law Group; Marie Jensen, Partner, Husch Blackwell
- Career Beyond the Firm: Who Needs Billable Hours?!? -- Featuring Kala Mueller, Director of Public Interest Programs; Danielle Allison, Executive Director of Ms. JD; Kara Ronnau, Executive General Counsel, Aurora Cooperative Elevator Company; Angela Zimmer, Managing Attorney, Watson & Carroll; Kari Schmitz, Legal Operations Specialist, Hudl
Making the Most of Mentors
- 3:00 - 5:00 p.m. -- Hamman Auditorium: Featuring Katie Pfannenstiel, Assistant Director of Alumni Relations; Maleaha Brown, Vice President of Ms. JD/Felowhip Director; Tara Paulson, Partner, Rembolt Ludtke; Ellie Rohr, Legal Counsel, Nebraska Public Service Commission; Tara Stingley, Partner, Cline, Williams, Wright, Johnson & Oldfather
10 Things I Wish I Would Have Known in Law School
- 3:50 - 4:50 p.m. -- Hamman Auditorium: Featuring Tracy Warren, Assistant Dean of Admission; Alyssa Stokes, Associate, Koley; Christin Lovegrove, Partner, Heinisch, Lovegrove; Hon. Rachel Daughtery, District Court Judge; Megan Belcher, Senior VP, General Counsel, Secretary, The Scoular Company
- 4:50 - 5:00 p.m. -- Hamman Auditorium: Featuring Molly Brummond, Assistant Dean of External Relations & Strategic Initiatives
The event is presented by Ms. JD and the University of Nebraska College of Law. To Learn More, check out the Nebraska College of Law Website Here!