By Ms. JD Editor • May 01, 2017•Ms. JD, Features, Superwomen JDs and What You Can Learn From Them
1. My husband, Shannon, and I met through a blind date and got married in Saint Lucia.
2. I love jewelry and accessories. I had a record number of 20 handbags in elementary school, which I switched out daily. Not much has changed since then.
3. I have been scrapbooking for over 20 years and still prefer it to sharing photos and memories on social media.
4. I enjoy setting goals and crushing them. In the fifth grade I wrote down my dreams: being elected president of my elementary school, president of my class every year of high school, and president of my high school; attending Harvard Law School; and being elected President of the United States. I have crossed every item off the list, except one!
5. College football is an obsession for me. I grew up in Opelika, Alabama, with my grandmother's house walking distance from the Auburn University football stadium. My husband is an Auburn graduate. His dad graduated from Auburn. His aunt graduated from Auburn. (You see the pattern.) I graduated from Florida State University where I was an official hostess for the athletic department, passing a required FSU football history exam in order to maintain my position. I scheduled my wedding around Auburn's home football schedule (everyone does) and key SEC match ups. Our children — a two year old boy and a five year old girl — are trained to only say "War Eagle" and "Go Noles." My daughter recently told my dad "Roll Tide" was a bad word.
6. I love to travel. Through international study abroad programs and my personal travels I have visited the United Kingdom, France, Netherlands, Egypt, Namibia, Dubai, Austria, Czech Republic, Poland, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Mexico, Canada, Jamaica, and of course Saint Lucia.
7. My favorite cupcake is "Over the Moon" at Dreamcakes in Homewood (Birmingham), Alabama. But, if I had to order cupcakes online, I love Baked by Melissa. Ask me anything about cupcakes. My opinions on them are almost as strong as my opinions on college football.
8. I do not eat raw veggies. No salads for me. I do love cooked veggies. Related: I have never been a fan of coffee but kept myself alert in law school by drinking tea with embarrassing amounts of sugar. In retrospect, probably could have just eaten cupcakes instead.
9. As a child, my dreams were not limited to becoming a lawyer: I also wanted to be a teacher … and work at a department store … and work at McDonalds.
10. I do not know how to ride a bike. One embarrassing accident in a neighbor's yard put a halt to further training efforts by my dad.
11. My favorite television movie event is the church scene from Polly, featuring Keshia Knight Pulliam.
12. I was deeply impacted by the summer I spent interning at the Southern Center for Human Rights, working on inhumane prison condition cases and death penalty appeals.
13. I am a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. I pledged the Kappa Epsilon chapter (FSU) in the Fall of 2001.
14. My first car was a 1999 Ford Mustang, a high school graduation gift from my parents. My best friend nicknamed her "Chi Chi." I drove that car until it was totaled in an accident in 2013, which was a very sad day for me.
15. My mother is the president of our local Boys & Girls Club chapter, and she is my role model when it comes to leadership, service, and balancing a demanding career with a full personal life.