By Noorain Khan • March 15, 2012•Internships and Clerkships
Ms. JD is looking for an enthusiastic, DC-based individual to lead the planning, organizing, and executing of Ms. JD's Fifth Annual Conference on Women and the Law on a part-time basis. The conference will be held on October 5-6, 2012, at Washington College of Law at American University.
Ms. JD's Annual Conference is a key deliverable of Ms. JD's mission because it provides an opportunity for Ms. JD's community to gather together, to learn actionable skills, and to network amongst one another thus building connections between women in the legal profession. Moreover, the conference is among Ms. JD's most visible programs. The Conference Intern works closely with Ms. JD's Executive Board, National Women's Law Student Organization (NWLSO) Leaders, and key stakeholders at the host school and partnership organizations to collaborate on each of the tasks related to the conference.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Generally, the Conference Intern is responsible for the day-to-day duties associated with planning and executing the Ms. JD Annual Conference. The Conference Intern is responsible for collaborating with the Ms. JD Executive Board in setting the conference agenda, writing collateral materials, and securing speakers. She or he manages Ms. JD's relationships with NWLSO chapters, national partnership organizations, and law firms for the purposes of fundraising and co-sponsorship. She or he works with NWLSO chapters to organize student volunteers and recruit attendees. On the day of the conference, the Conference Intern is responsible for the logistics of the day.
- Draft collateral materials for the conference
- In coordination with the Executive Board, solicit speakers for panels, coordinate with speakers to the extent necessary to plan panels
- Design and maintain conference registration site in coordination with Ms. JD's Website Intern
- Develop partnership relationships and secure strategic co-sponsorship endorsements
- Works with host school employees and stakeholders to plan conference logistics
- Oversee the financial health of the conference by maintaining budgets in conjunction with Ms. JD's CFO
- Collaborate with Ms. JD board regarding delegated responsibilities
- Greet and coordinate speakers
- Provide guidance to student volunteers
- Work with host school stakeholders to ensure flawless presentation
- Regularly update Ms. JD Board on key metrics including co-sponsorship and speakers
- Attend and participate in Ms. JD Executive Board Calls
- Maintain records to provide for institutional knowledge and transition to future Ms. JD employees
- Articulate Ms. JD's mission and purpose to all stakeholders; be an excellent representative of Ms. JD
- Excellent organization
- Strong communication skills
- Experience with event planning or conference coordination
- Experience with student coordination
The Conference Intern will be asked to work 5-10 hours/week until August 1st and then around 10 hours/week thereafter. Experience in the law not required. Pay commensurate with experience.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. To apply, submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.