By Maleaha Brown • January 14, 2020•Ms. JD
Ms. JD is seeking diverse leaders in the legal community who are passionate about improving the experiences of women law students and lawyers to join our Board of Directors. Ms. JD is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to ensuring the success of aspiring and early career women lawyers. Ms. JD is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors comprised of law students and attorneys, who are supported by our Chief Executive Officer, a small group of independent contractors, and our vast network of volunteers. Ms. JD is a 501(c)(3), incorporated in California.
Serving as a unique nexus between the legal profession and the pipeline of diverse attorneys, Ms. JD’s online community provides a forum for dialogue and networking among women lawyers and law students. Ms. JD celebrates women’s achievements, addresses remaining challenges, and facilitates continued progress by bringing legal practitioners and law students together to share in an ongoing conversation about gender issues in law school and the profession. To learn about all the amazing things Ms. JD does, please visit the Programs and Events pages.
We are currently recruiting diverse leaders who:
- have experience in non-profit finance and/or governance;
- have experience as a(n) in-house counsel, solo practitioner, or business owner;
- have experience in academia, government, or military;
- have experience as a mid-level attorney;
- live in the West Coast or Midwest regions;
- are male allies; and/or
- are first-year law students
Ms. JD Board Members have the following duties:
- Understand the organization’s mission and policies;
- Support Ms. JD’s Chief Executive Officer to fulfill the organization’s mission;
- Actively participate in overseeing financial decisions for the organization and efficient management of Ms. JD’s resources;
- Determine, monitor, and address the organization’s needs;
- Review and understand the organization’s financial statements;
- Participate in the advancement of the organization’s strategic plan;
- Engage in the review of the CEO’s performance.
Board and Committee Work
- Attend and participate in 80% or more of quarterly/monthly Board calls, committee calls, and other important related meetings;
- Serve on two committees and participate actively in committee work by staying informed about committee matters, preparing thoroughly for Board and committee meetings, and reviewing and commenting on minutes and reports;
- Get to know other Board members and build a collegial working relationship that contributes to consensus;
- Commit to acquiring a minimum amount of $10,000 per year for the organization by soliciting sponsors, applying for grants, hosting fundraisers, or making a personal donation;
- Identify and secure financial resources and partnerships necessary for the organization to advance its mission;
- Raise brand awareness by promoting Ms. JD in social media campaigns and at networking events;
- Serve as an active advocate and ambassador for the organization;
- Support Ms. JD’s blog by writing or engaging with our online community; and
- Attend Ms. JD’s Annual Conference, Board Retreat, and local Bar Association events on Ms. JD’s behalf (schedule permitting).
How do you apply?
To apply to Ms. JD’s Board of Directors, please submit your resume and cover letter describing why you would like to join our Board and what skills you would like to utilize on the Board to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 3, 2020. Please indicate your availability for our Annual Conference and Board Retreat in Chicago, IL on March 12 - 14, 2020.