Have a passion for helping women in the legal profession? Apply to join the Ms. JD Board today! Make a difference for women in law by joining our Board of Directors.
By Ms. JD Editor • November 05, 2021•Ms. JD
Ms. JD is seeking diverse individuals in the legal community with an interest in leadership who are passionate about improving the experiences of women law students and lawyers to join our Board of Directors. Ms. JD is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to ensuring the success of aspiring and early career women lawyers. Ms. JD is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors comprised of law students and attorneys, who are supported by our Chief Executive Officer, a small group of independent contractors, and our vast network of volunteers. Ms. JD is a 501(c)(3), incorporated in California.
Participation as a board member of Ms. JD presents an enriching opportunity for professional development and leadership in the legal profession. If you're an aspiring leader with a passion to support young female attorneys, becoming a board member will allow you to play a key role in the strategic direction of Ms. JD and bring you new insights and challenges as you work closely with like-minded professionals who support the advancement of women in the legal industry.
We are currently recruiting diverse leaders who:
- have experience in non-profit finance and/or governance;
- have experience in academia, government, or military;
- want to serve in a leadership role;
- live in the South, West, or Midwest regions;
- are male allies; and/or
- are first-year law students
Ms. JD Board Members have the following duties:
- Understand the organization’s mission and policies;
- Support Ms. JD’s Chief Executive Officer to fulfill the organization’s mission;
- Actively participate in overseeing financial decisions for the organization and efficient management of Ms. JD’s resources;
- Determine, monitor, and address the organization’s needs;
- Review and understand the organization’s financial statements;
- Participate in the advancement of the organization’s strategic plan;
- Engage in the review of the CEO’s performance.
Board and Committee Work
- Attend and participate in 80% or more of quarterly/monthly Board calls, committee calls, and other important related meetings;
- Serve on two committees and participate actively in committee work by staying informed about committee matters, preparing thoroughly for Board and committee meetings, and reviewing and commenting on minutes and reports;
- Get to know other Board members and build a collegial working relationship that contributes to consensus;
- Commit to acquiring a minimum amount of $3,500 per year for the organization by soliciting sponsors, applying for grants, hosting fundraisers, or making a personal donation;
- Identify and secure financial resources and partnerships necessary for the organization to advance its mission;
- Raise brand awareness by promoting Ms. JD in social media campaigns and at networking events;
- Serve as an active advocate and ambassador for the organization;
- Support Ms. JD’s blog by writing or engaging with our online community; and
- Attend Ms. JD’s Annual Conference, Board Retreat, and local Bar Association events on Ms. JD’s behalf (COVID permitting).
How do you apply?
To apply to Ms. JD’s Board of Directors, please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by December 1, 2021. In your cover letter, please describe why you would like to join the Ms. JD Board of Directors, what skills you would like to utilize on the Board, and your 6-month plan for raising your first $1,000 for Ms. JD.