By Melissa Gardner • April 04, 2016
Ms. JD created the Global Education Fund to enable women in developing countries who have the commitment, perseverance, and intelligence to become lawyers and leaders in their countries, but who cannot afford higher education on their own. With support from everyone at Ms. JD, the Global Education Fund Program Director helps enable such women to pursue the legal educations and careers that they dream of. Each year, GEF has made it possible for two Ugandan women in each class year to study in the law program at Makerere University in Uganda.
Responsibilities of the Global Education Fund Program Director:
- Lead outreach and program development initiatives to improve the GEF scholarship program in Uganda, and possibly to other countries
- Work with GEF Program Council to promote and support the education and empowerment of women, particularly overseas
- Function as a communications liaison between Ms. JD and the university
- Work with Ms. JD CFO to coordinate tuition payments
- Assist with promotion and selection of council members, including submission of blog posts promoting any open positions
- Provide periodic reports, including financial reports, to the Ms. JD board in accordance with GEF Standard Operating Procedures
- Chair and schedule bimonthly GEF council meetings (typically by phone)
- Lead planning of annual Global Education Fund Cocktail Benefit
- With Program Council, organize additional periodic fundraising events
- Develop an annual budget and submit request to the Ms. JD board
Here's what you'll need to apply:
- Your resume.
- Statement of interest (up to 500 words). The Statement should explain your interest in leading Ms. JD’s Global Education Fund.
- You may submit an addendum (up to 250 words) to supplement materials above.
Submit your application to GEF@Ms-JD.org. Finalists will be contacted, on a rolling basis, to complete interviews with members of the Ms. JD Board of Directors.
This is a part-time volunteer position, requiring a two-year commitment. There is no geographic limitation on where the Program Director works from. You do not need to be in the legal profession to apply.