By Melissa Gardner • December 14, 2015
Ms. JD strives to increase the representation of women in the legal profession. While our efforts focus on women law students and lawyers in the United States, Ms. JD wanted to support the rise of women lawyers worldwide. Grateful for the educational opportunities we have had in the U.S., Ms. JD created the Global Education Fund to enable women in developing countries to pursue legal educations who otherwise would not have access to further education.
Each year, the Global Education Fund has made it possible for up to eight young Ugandan women to pursue their dreams of becoming lawyers by attending the law program at Makerere University in Uganda. The Global Education Fund team will work to fundraise, increase awareness around educational inequities for women abroad, and expand our reach both here and abroad. The ideal Council Member would have a demonstrated interest in the advancement of women’s rights, education, and/or international affairs. Experience in fundraising is a plus!
Here's what you'll need to apply:
1. Your resume.
2. Statement of interest (up to 500 words). The Statement should indicate why you want to be a GEF Program Council Member.
3. You may submit an addendum (up to 250 words) to supplement materials above.
Note: This position requires a two-year commitment.
A couple tips and considerations:
1. You should consider that the Council Members are nationwide and will need to be able to work on the project together but remotely (through conference calls, Google docs, etc.).
2. Each Council Member must plan and/or help other Council Members plan at least one fundraising/awareness event per quarter (e.g., networking event, networking out fundraising event, happy hour, silent auction, online campaign, etc.). Creative ideas are welcome!
3. Each Council Member must help recruit and support one or more GEF Program Advocates (regional short- or long-term volunteers) who will assist their local Council member with program development, event planning, social media marketing, or other GEF strategic initiatives.
4. You do not need to be in the legal profession to apply. GEF encourages both men and women to apply for Council Member positions.
Submit your application to GEF@Ms-JD.org. Finalists will be contacted, on a rolling basis, to complete interviews with Ms. JD Board Members and/or the GEF Program Director.