By Katherine Larkin-Wong • June 17, 2012•Careers
Dear Ms. JDs,
It's officially summer! Summer can mean vacations, barbeques with family and friends, and lots of fun in the sun. All of the 3Ls have graduated, the rising 3Ls and 2Ls have started summer internships or classes and those of you destined to be 1Ls next fall are making final decisions, putting down deposits or learning you've come off the waitlist! To all of you, I say congratulations! For the attorneys among us, summer can bring summer associate classes and new interns whose excitement for the law is contagious and can bring a pick-me-up that your practice might need!
Summer is also a great time to explore new things, try a new experience, and make some new connections. Ms. JD is here to help you with all of those options!
For those of you exploring new options like new areas of the law that you're busy memorizing for the dreaded BAR, Ms. JD is here to help! Just like we were there for you through outlining and moot court, we're here now to help you with ideas for studying for the bar. Just remember, no one size fits all and the key is figuring out what works best for you! Check out our bar exam resources. Here are a few of my favorites: Board Member Janet Wallace shares her "three outlines" strategy and Founding CFO and Board Emeritae Karen Hernandez explains why you should think about timing. That's just the tip of the iceberg so definitely look around!
Now for those of you with more time, Ms. JD has a couple suggestions. First, think about using the extra time you have to explore something new. Try writing for Ms. JD or meeting new people through a networking event. Once you learn something new, put it to practice! Ms. JD has several events in major cities this summer – read about all of them after the jump.
- June 19th – The Bar Association of San Francisco presents Make the Career You Want: Social Media. See Ms. JD President, Katie Larkin-Wong (that’s me!) and Ms. JD Writer-in-Residence and Founder of The Girls Guide To Law School, Alison Monahan, talk about ways to use social media to boost your career. The event is free! For more information click here.
- July 11th – Ms. JD and the Bar Association of San Francisco present Miss Representation. Join us for an evening of networking and movie-watching with a discussion to be led by Pat Gillette and a member of an in-house counsel team that is to be announced. Tickets are $5. Click here for more information.
- August 3rd – Join Ms. JD for the social event of the summer as we host a cocktail fundraiser and silent auction for the Global Education Fund. The Global Education Fund provides full scholarships for four women in Uganda to attend law school. Early Bird tickets are $25 for students and $30 for general admission. Purchase your tickets by clicking here.
- July 25th – Join Ms. JD and our sponsors O’Melveny & Myers and Lateral Link for a free screening of Miss Representation followed by an all-star panel discussion featuring Ms. JD Board Member Jessie Kornberg, O’Melveny & Myers Partner Stephen Scharf, and Lateral Link Director Julie Locke about how we work together to move the needle on diversity in the legal profession. Click here to RSVP.
- June 21st – Join Ms. JD and Pros in the City for a Women Helping Women Speed Networking Event. We’re bringing women lawyers and entrepreneurs together for an evening of networking, engaging, and hopefully planning for the future! Tickets are $20 but you receive $5.00 off your advance purchase ticket by using a Ms. JD code. For more information about tickets, discounts, and joining us, click here.
- We're still finalizing the date but we'll give you a preview of our upcoming New York event! In mid-July, Ms. JD will present a networking event for women lawyers with special guest, Kelly Hoey. Formerly a lawyer, Kelly is now the Managing Director of Women Innovate Mobile, the first accelerator company focused on women founding mobile companies. She is also one of the best networkers and connectors out there. You’ll get great advice from Kelly and then be able to practice your skills among other women attorneys. Watch the blog for additional details!
- August 3-5 - Ms. JD will be in attendance at the ABA Commission on Women in the Profession events at the ABA Annual Meeting. We encourage you to join us and attend the Margaret Brent Awards luncheon! For more information about the Commission or the Brent Awards Luncheon, click here.
Don’t see an event in your area but want the opportunity to have one? Let us know! If you’re willing to help plan it, we’ll help promote and make it happen. Maybe that’s your new skill to develop for the summer? As always, feel free to reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or ideas.
President, Ms. JD