By Ms. JD Editor • August 13, 2018
Have you made a positive difference in your community? Do you want to serve the mission of helping women lawyers and law students succeed? Do you want to shatter the glass ceiling, break down barriers, and help change the dismal statistics for women lawyers? For example, .56 percent of partners at major law firms are black women and most firms don’t track women lawyers with disabiltiites. The time for change is now! Please apply to serve on the Ms. JD Board of Directors.
Ms. JD is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to the success of aspiring and early career women lawyers. Ms. JD is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors comprised of law students and attorneys. Ms. JD is supported by an Executive Director and a small group of independent contractors. Ms. JD was founded at Stanford Law School in 2006 by a group of female law students from the following law schools: Boalt Hall (UC Berkeley), Cornell, Georgetown, Harvard, NYU, Stanford, UCLA, University of Texas at Austin, the University of Chicago, the University of Michigan, the University of Virginia, and Yale. Ms. JD is a 501(c)(3).
Serving as a unique nexus between the profession and the pipeline of diverse attorneys, Ms. JD’s online community provides a forum for dialogue and networking among women lawyers and law students. With campus chapters throughout the nation, Ms. JD is also home to the National Women Law Students’ Organization. Ms. JD celebrates women’s achievements, addresses remaining challenges, and facilitates continued progress by bringing legal practitioners and law students together to share in an ongoing conversation about gender and intersectionality issues in law school and the profession.
To learn about all the amazing things Ms. JD does please visit the Programs page.
Board members must contribute to the good of the organization by performing the following duties:
- Support Ms. JD's Executive Director in the fullfillment of the orgaization's mission and review his/her performance;
- Participate actively in making financial decisions for the organization and manage Ms. JD's resources effectively;
- Identify and secure financial resources and partnerships necessary for he organization to advance its mission;
- Attend and participate in 90% or more of Board calls, committee calls and other important related meetings;
- Promote Ms. JD’s public image and participate in social media campaigns;
- Understand the organization’s mission and policies;
- Leverage connections, networks, and resources to develop collective action to fully achieve the organization’s mission;
- Participate actively in Board committee work by serving on two or more committees;
- Stay informed about committee matters, prepare thoroughly for Board and committee meetings, review and comment on minutes and reports;
- Get to know other Board members and build a collegial working relationship that contributes to consensus;
- Participate in fundraising for the organization by raising at least $1,000 per year;
- Review and understand the organization’s financial statements;
- Serve as an active advocate and ambassador for the organization;
- Give a personal financial donation (there is no set amount we understand that everyone is in different financial situation but we do require board members to donate. We have received donations from board members between $50 and $10,000);
- Follow the Ms. JD blog and make regular comments on articles and engage with our community in discussion; and
- Attend our Annual Conference, local events, and any other events as your schedule allows.
- Estimated Time Committement: 5-10 hours a week depending on the time of year. Time committment can be less during slow seasons and at the top of the range before large events. We have 2 to 3 large events per year.
We encourage everyone to apply, including law firm associates, professors, in house attorneys, law students, pre-law students, and anyone in an alternative legal career. We are also looking for male allies to apply.
Please email a statement of interest, no longer than one page, and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to apply is October 15, 2018. We look forward to hearing from you.