Ms. JD Pre-Law: “Table of Contents”
By Genevieve Antono • September 10, 2017•Ms. JD, Conference, Writers in Residence, Careers, Firms and the Private Sector, Legal Academia, Nonprofits and the Public Interest, Politics and Government, •Other Career Issues, Law School, Pre-Law, Choosing a Career and Landing a Job, Curriculum and Classroom Dynamics, Internships and Clerkships, Other Law School Issues, Issues, •Mentoring and Networking
Are you a pre-law student or professional? Read this post first!
Hello and welcome to Ms. JD Pre-Law!
Ms. JD knows that making the decision to go to law school is not easy. We also know that finding reliable information about the application process, financing law school, and what to expect from the law school experience can be difficult. Thanks for stopping by because Ms. JD can help!
The Ms. JD pre-law program aims to provide prospective law students like yourself tools you can use to make an informed decision about law school. Please check out the many resources we have available on the blog and the Instagram page. In the coming weeks and months, we will be providing updated content and opportunities for you to engage with members of the Ms. JD community including current law students, practicing attorneys and law school graduates.
Below you will find a table of contents chock full of information to get you started. I personally relied on Ms. JD’s resources when I made the decision to apply to law school years ago. Now, as a practicing attorney, I am committed to giving back to prospective law students like you!
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me!
Best of luck on your road to law school!
Pre-Law Program Director
Table of Contents
Last Updated: 09/09/2017
1. From the Pre-Law Directors
Ms. JD Pre-Law INTERVIEWS
- Interview with Ani Torossian, Ms. JD Pre-Law Program Director 2015-2017
- Interview with Monica Parks, Diversity and Inclusion Coordinator at the New York City Bar
- Interview with Elina Tetelbaum, Corporate Associate at Wachtell Lipton
- Interview with J.Y. Ping, Founder of 7Sage and PreProBono
- Interview with Amy Flanagan Bogle, Director of Human Resources at Clifford Chance US
- Interview with Lisa Rohrer, Senior Advisor at Fairfax Associates
- Interview with Christina Nguyen, Career Placement Committee Co-Chair, AABANY
- Interview with Katrina Lee, Law Professor at The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law
1.2 Interviews with Pre-Law Students/Graduates
- Pre-Law Q&A with Evelyn Mau, Pre-Law Senior at Hunter College
- Pre-Law Q&A with Tatum Wheeler, Research Associate at Sierra Leadership
1.4 Previous Interviews conducted by Ani Torossian (Ms. JD Pre-Law Program Director 2015-2017)
- Office Hours with Professor Janet Siegel Brown, Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law
- Office Hours with Professor Philip Lee, UDC David A. Clarke School of Law
- Office Hours with Professor Alice Armitage, UC Hastings College of the Law & Director, Startup Legal Garage
- Office Hours with Professor Catherine Grosso, Michigan State University College of Law
- Office Hours with Professor Angela P. Harris, UC Davis School of Law
- Office Hours with Professor Elly Jordan, Immigration Law Clinic at Michigan State University College of Law
1.5 Resources collected by Laura Bladow (Ms. JD Programs Manager 2013-2015)
- Laura Bladow's "Passionate Pre-Law: Ms. JD and the Path to Law School"
- Courtney Gabbara and Bridget Shaheen's "Ms. JD Pre-Law Prep Guide" (PDF)
- YouTube Video: Ms. JD Pre-Law Insights from the Ms. JD Board Part I
- YouTube Video: Ms. JD Pre-Law Insights from the Ms. JD Board Part II
- YouTube Video: Ms. JD Fellows Present Acing Law School
- Ms. JD Fellows Present Acing Law School (PDF)
1.6 Selection of pre-law blog posts from Laura Bladow (see her Profile for a complete list):
- Pre-Law Summer Reading List: Your Must Reads Before Law School
- Ms. JD Pre-Law: Choosing the Right Schools for You
- Ms. JD Pre-Law: Financial February - 10 Things You Must Do This Month
- Ms. JD Pre-Law: Choosing the right LSAT prep method for YOU!
2. Pre-Law Events and Opportunities
2.1 New York City Bar "Launching Your Career" Seminar Series 2017
- 2/2017 Invitation to Apply 2017
- Week 1: Orientation and Fireside Chat
- Week 2: Networking and Finding a Mentor
- Week 3: Office Etiquette
- Week 4: Legal Writing and Personal Statements (written by Kamya Arora)
- Week 5: Resume-Writing and Mock-Interview Workshop (written by Kamya Arora)
3. Selected Pre-Law Articles from around the Ms. JD blog
3.1 Pre-Law F.A.Q.'s
- Tatum Wheeler's "What is the LSAT? And where do I start?"
- Tatum Wheeler's "How long do I need to study for the LSAT?"
- 2015 Interview with Katie Larkin-Wong, Litigation Associate at Latham & Watkins, 2011-2016 President of Ms. JD
- Interview with Ann levine, Law School Admissions Consultant (interviewed by Tatum Wheeler)
3.3 Thinking about Law School
- Mackenzie Koppenhofer's "Preparing for Law School? Check out these do’s and don’ts."
- Genevieve Antono's "Why pre-law students should not be thinking about law school admissions. (Yet!)"
- Sarah Vaona's "One question you must answer before starting law school"
3.4 Pre-Law Job/Internship Search
- Genevieve Antono's "Building content for (corporate-oriented) pre-law interviews"
- Genevieve Antono's "10 tips to succeed at your summer internship"
- Karen Graziano's "Planning and promoting your professional profile"
- Ijya Paudel's "How to be confident in an interview"
- Nikki Datta's "Becoming a Frequent-Applier"
3.5 Pre-Law Life
- Nicole Hopkins' "My late-bloomer LSAT (and law school) success story"
- Amanda Gernentz Hanson's "LSAT study tips (from a full-time working dog owner)"
- PowerScore's series of articles
3.7 Personal Statement
3.8 Recommendation Letters
- Peg Cheng's "How to get great letters of recommendation"
- Karen Graziano's "Advice for recommendation seekers and writers"
4. External/Third-Party Resources
- Sponsors for Educational Opportunity Law Program
- NYC Bar Student Pipeline Programs
- PreProBono Fellowship (LSAT Prep)
- Council on Legal Education Opportunity (CLEO)
- For People of Color, Inc
Paige Greene is Ms. JD's Pre-Law Program Director. Paige volunteers with Ms. JD in her personal capacity. The opinions expressed in her posts are her own (and opinions expressed in links their own), and do not necessarily reflect those of her employer.
Write a comment
Please login to comment
Jasmin Morris July 25, 2017
Hi! Instead of practicing, I am a Law School Coach for my brand, Jas Talks Law. As such, I maintain a pre-law scholarship database which I share with subscribers twice a week. Feel free to subscribe for the latest scholarship opportunities: http://www.jastalkslaw.com ✨