By Ashley Rutherford • August 27, 2010•Writers in Residence
I love autumn. It is by far my favorite season. I love vibrant colors, football jerseys, and Halloween costumes. And that just covers my love for fall fashion! However, in the mid-west, fall can be a short transition between hot summer days and the crisp winter weather. Other times, it can be a three month stretch of lovely, breezy football weather. Both of these weather patterns can be difficult to dress for. The following transition pieces can be found for an investment or a bargain (examples included!) and can help you transition your professional wardrobe to meet autumn’s weather demands.
(1) Knee High Boots – Their appropriateness is often a subject of debate among lawyers, but I find them to be chic and classy. A lawyer can pair a great spring dress with a bold belt and knee high boots to create a fabulous fall look. Here are some examples:
Consider pairing your boots with a summer dress like this and a cardigan.
Keep them Simple: I love gorgeous, unique boots. However, if on a budget, keep your knee high boots simple. The less buckles the better! That way, your boots can transition for other occasions. This year, knee high boots are being worn with straight leg jeans tucked into the boot. However, a simple pair of knee high boots can also be put on underneath a great pair of bootcut or trouser jeans for a more classic look.
(2) The Classic Trench – For crisp mornings and chilly afternoons, a light trench coat can come in handy. To brighten your style, consider purchasing a bold neutral over the classic camel color. Either way, the trench coat is a classic staple that will last your for years.
(3) Patterned/Colored Tights – Tights are fabulous. They are comfortable; they make legs look amazing; and they are reasonably priced! Pair a great patterned tight with a solid sheath dress. Or, choose a solid tight for a classy pop of color.
(4) The Key Necklace – I love these. They are beautiful, elegant, and come in a variety of shapes and sizes. They are a nice touch to a simple, understated work ensemble.
(5) The Cardigan – The cardigan is a staple for fall weather. Consider choosing bold colors to spice up your wardrobe! Show your personality! Here are a couple of styles that I am loving this year!
- The Boyfriend Cardigan. For those who can wear them with a skinny belt and a button down, I am envious! I wish I could do it. However, with or without a belt, these are a great fall transition.
- The Wrapped Cardigan. Comfortable, elegant, and a great transition from business to casual.
- The Large-Button Cardigan. Work appropriate, yet bold.
- The Ruffle Cardigan. Romantic and figure flattering.
Savvy Tips for the Shopper-At-Law:
(1) Even if it is ninety degrees, you should not wear bright white pants after labor day. Consider wearing a lovely cream or winter white instead.
(2) In the same respect, knee high boots look silly at the end of August. Keep them in the closet until the weather transitions from hot to cool. You will get plenty of time to wear them!
(3) If you are not sure that your outfit is in season, do not wear it to work. Ask a friend first. It is better to be same and appropriate!
(4) Break it up! – Pull out your suits and wear your jackets with a solid dress and a great piece of jewelry! It is a wonderful way to create a new work outfit on a budget.
(5) Bold berry is in! – Consider trying a darker lip color for fall. There are many lovely berry shades that are office appropriate.