We understand that in visiting htt://ms-jd.org (the “Site”) and blogging on it, you are investing trust in us. We take this trust very seriously. Please read the following policy to learn about our privacy practices. By visiting the Site you are accepting the practices and policies described herein.
• What information we collect from you
• How we use your information
• With whom we share your information
• How you can access your information
• Your choices with respect to the collection and use of your information
• How we protect your information
• Children’s privacy
• A SPecial word about user submissions
• External links
• How you can contact us
What information we collect from you
• Information You Provide to Us. We receive and store any information you enter on our Site or provide to us in other ways. This includes information that can identify you (“personal information”), including your first and last name, telephone number, postal and e-mail addresses, the law school you attend(ed), and, in some cases, billing information (such as credit card number, card type, cardholder name, and expiration date). You can choose not to provide information to us, but some information about you is required in order for you to register as a member; submit articles that you would like published on the site; post comments to featured articles; participate in a survey, sweepstakes or contest; ask us a question; or initiate other transactions on our site.
• Information from Other Sources. We also may periodically obtain information about you from our business partners and other independent third-party sources and combine it with the information that you have provided to us.
• Automatic Information. We automatically collect some information about your computer when you visit the Site. For example, we will collect your IP address, Web browser software (e.g., Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer), and referrer Web site. We also may collect information about the pages you view and other aspects of your online activity. We may combine this automatically-gathered information with other information, including personal information that we have collected about you.
How we use your information
With whom we share your information
Ms. JD may share your information in limited circumstances, including::
• With our authorized service providers that perform certain functions or services on our behalf (such as to host the Site, manage databases, or provide certain components of the Site).
• With third-party service providers who provide services or functions on our behalf, including marketing, distribution of surveys or sweepstakes programs, credit card processing, and business analytics. These companies have access to personal information needed to perform their functions but are not permitted to use or share the information for any other purpose.
• With business partners with whom we may jointly offer products or services. Ms. JD may from time to time partner with third parties to offer our members and site visitors a variety of products and services. All such products and services will be described as such. You can tell when a third party is involved in a product or service you have requested because their name will appear with ours in any promotional materials you receive from the third party. These third-party partners may request personal information about you in order for you to take advantage of their product and service offerings. If you choose to access these optional services, we will share your personal information with such third parties. Please note that we do not control the privacy practices of these third-party business partners and recommend that you evaluate their practices before deciding to provide your personal information. You may opt out of having your personal information shared with such third parties by e-mail.
• With other users of the Site, who will be able to view your profile information, including your status (student, professional, other), your school, your professional affiliation, and any other information you choose to include within your profile. No personal information about you will be displayed with this set of information.
• To respond to apparently bona fide subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process; in response to a request for cooperation from law enforcement or another government agency; or to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims. In such cases we reserve the right to raise or waive any legal objection or right available to us.
• In connection with a corporate transaction, such as a divestiture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
Other than as set out above, you will be notified when personal information about you will be shared with third parties, and you will have an opportunity to choose not to have us share such information. We also may share aggregate information with third parties, including investors. For example, we may tell our investors the number of website visitors or the number of visitors we have in various age brackets. This information does not contain any personal information and is used to develop content and services that we hope you will find of interest.
How you can access your information
You can go to the My Account page on the Site to view, update, or change your personal information. On this page, you can also change your password or elect to have an automatic password sign-in when logging on to the Site. Finally, you can terminate your Ms. JD membership by selecting the Delete Account option. Please note that after you close an account, you will not be able to sign in or access any of your personal information. However, you can re-join Ms. JD at any time. Please also note that we may retain information associated with your account for analytical purposes. We will send you an e-mail confirming your request to close your account to the e-mail address contained in your member profile.
Your choices with respect to the collection and use of your information
• As discussed above, you can always choose not to provide us with any information, although doing so may limit your ability to access and use certain features on the Site.
• You can also add or update information on the My Account page, and close your account as explained above.
• When you register as a member on the Site, you will be given a choice as to whether you want to receive e-mail messages from Ms. JD about special events. You can modify your choice at any time on the My Account page under the heading “Manage Subscriptions.” You also will be given the opportunity to unsubscribe from these promotional messages in any such e-mail we send. Please note, however, that we reserve the right to send you communications, including service announcements, administrative messages, and surveys, that relate either to your membership on ms-jd.org, even if you have unsubscribed from receiving promotional e-mail messages and without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them.
• The Help portion of toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. Please note you will not be able to access some portions of our site if you delete cookies altogether.
How we protect your information
We want you to feel confident about using the Site, so we are committed to protecting the information we collect. While no Web site can guarantee security, we have implemented appropriate security procedures to help protect the personal information that you provide to us in a manner consistent with this policy.
If you are under 18, you may use the Site only with the involvement of a parent or guardian. Should a child whom we know to be under 13 send personal information to us, we will use that information only to respond directly to that child to inform him or her that we must have parental consent before receiving his or her personal information, after which point we will delete that information from our database.
A Special Word About User Submissions
Please keep in mind that whenever you voluntarily disclose personal information online in public forums, that information can be collected and used by others. For this reason, we encourage all users to refrain from providing or sharing their personal information in article and blog comment threads, discussion forums, message boards, and other areas in which we allow users to submit content to be made available to the public.